Central Texas AHJ Forum
Latest on Codes and Standards Adoptions and Policies
Location Details: IN-PERSON: San Marcos Activity Center, 501 E. Hopkins, San Marcos, TX
Program: This forum provides an opportunity to hear from local code enforcement agencies (Authorities Having Jurisdiction) regarding recent code adoption and policy updates in the Central Texas region. TFPA hosts this forum every few years to provide our members and guests with an opportunity to interact directly with local code officials. The panel discussion will include "hot topics" with each representative discussing their jurisdiction's approach. Panelists will have a chance to discuss code adoptions, amendments, and policies that are unique to their jurisdiction. An opportunity for questions from the audience will also be provided.
“Hot topics” on the discussion agenda include building and fire code topics and sprinkler and fire alarm system issues, including:
1. Introductions and department overviews, examples of scopes of current projects, growth in the jurisdiction, key personnel contacts, etc.
2. Current code adoptions and key amendments and policies. Some Jurisdictions have adopted the 2021 I-Codes and other jurisdictions are refining their adoptions of the other versions of I-Codes with amendments, interpretations, and informational bulletins.
3. Plan intake procedures and programs available for expedited intake, plan review, and installation permits.
4. The top 3 fire protection design, installation, or enforcement issues. If these issues were fixed, "everyone would save a lot of heartache.”
5. Procedures for failed inspection reporting. In addition to state requirements to tag a system, Code Officials will discuss their local requirements for reporting and corrective action plans.
6. A discussion of impairment procedures for "Out of Service” systems: having an impairment coordinator, system tagging and notification requirements, pre-planned impairment programs, AHJ notification, permits for regular and emergency impairments.
7. Code retroactivity issues: Dealing with annexation of non-compliant buildings, high-rise sprinkler system retrofit requirements, procedures for retroactive installation/replacement of a building fire alarm and suppression systems in occupied buildings.
- City of Austin - Ben Flick
- City of San Antonio - Amin Tohmaz
- Hays County - Gib Watt
- State Fire Marshal - Ernest McCloud/Kelly Stalder
- Bexar County - David Boudreaux
- Georgetown Fire Department - Carl Wren
- Others pending
GET YOUR CEUs: TFPA members who participate in this program will receive ICC Preferred Provider and TCFP CEU credits. If you're not currently a member, TFPA membership is only $20/year to receive CEUs and other benefits.
11:00 - 11:15 a.m. - Business meeting
11:15 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. - Presentation and lunch
May 9th at 9:00 a.m.