Combustible Dust Safety
Online meeting - participation details will be emailed to registrants prior to the event.
Program: This presentation will provide a comprehensive overview of combustible dust safety, including fundamentals, regulations, hazard analysis, and hazard management. Program details:
Fundamentals of Combustible Dust
Current Regulatory Framework
- What’s the risk: a review of loss history
- Basics on combustible dust fire, flash fire, and explosion hazards
- Understanding dust testing
- Review of 2018 IFC and upcoming 2021 IFC requirements
- OSHA National Emphasis Program on combustible dust
- Current NFPA standards on combustible dust and future changes
Dust Hazard Analysis (DHA)
- What is a DHA and what does it need to address?
- Initial (reactive) and design-phase (proactive) DHAs
- DHA example
- Inherently safer design
- Ignition source control
- Explosion protection
- Administrative controls
- Performance-based and risk analysis alternatives
Questions and Interactive Discussion
Presenter: Mr. Marc T. Hodapp, P.E. is a registered Fire Protection Engineer with over 11 years of experience in fire and explosion hazard analysis, fire dynamics evaluations, and fire effects and human behavior modeling. He is an expert in hazard analysis and mitigation related to combustible dust. Mr. Hodapp is an active member of the Technical Committee for NFPA 652, Standard on the Fundamentals of Combustible Dust. He has a passion for spreading awareness about combustible dust safety and continuously seeks to advance the standard of care through the development of innovative solutions and the application of cutting edge engineering models and risk analysis.