The International Existing Building Code
2021 IEBC Essentials
Location Details: IN-PERSON: San Marcos Activity Center, 501 E. Hopkins, San Marcos, TX
This seminar will introduce critical concepts of the 2021 International Existing Building Code (IEBC), providing a basis for the correct use and application of the code. Course content will include:
- The development history of the IEBC
- Critical concepts of the 2021 International Existing Building Code® (IEBC ).
- The basis for the correct use and application of the code.
- Building an understanding of the intent of the code through detailed review of:
- Basic tables
- A case study
- Real world applications
- Recognize the limitations and extent of the codes related to existing buildings.
- Recognize how the IEBC offers alternatives and incentives to building owners to maintain their buildings and to continue to initiate upgrades towards compliance with more contemporary editions of the codes.
- Identify the three different compliance methods offered by the IEBC.
- Recognize the classifications of work associated with existing buildings.
- Identify fire protection systems that need to be upgraded.
- Recognize vertical openings that need partial or complete enclosure.
Presenter: James T. Ryan
Tim Ryan served the City of Overland Park for 40 years; all in the Building Safety Division, as a field inspector, plans examiner, field supervisor and as Code Administrator from 1998 until 2017. He currently serves as the Executive Director of the International Building Officials Association and as a national and international code consultant. Tim graduated from Pittsburg State University with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Construction Management and Technology in 1978. He served on the Board of Directors for the Building Officials and Code Administrators (BOCA), Intl. model code organization from 1993 through 2002, including as the last full-term President of BOCA before merging with ICBO and SBCCI to form the International Code Council. He then served 7 years on the Board of Directors for the International Code Council. He served on the Board of Directors for the National Institute of Building Sciences from 2006 through 2021. He served as one of six board members to be appointed to the NIBS Board by the President of the United States, President Obama, in 2012. He has been a member of the ICC Codes and Standards Council, is currently a member of the ICC Code Correlation Committee and serves as a moderator for the ICC code development hearings. Tim was awarded the Mortimer M. Marshal Award from the National Institute of Building Sciences in January 2018 for outstanding lifetime achievement.
9:30 - 9:45 a.m. - Business Meeting
9:45 - 11:45 a.m. - Presentation Part 1
11:45 - 12:30 p.m. - Lunch
12:30 - 2:30 p.m. - Presentation Part 2
GET YOUR CEUs: TFPA members who participate in this program will receive ICC Preferred Provider and TCFP CEU credits. If you're not currently a member, TFPA membership is only $20/year to receive CEUs and other benefits.
September 30th at 5:00 p.m.
(NO REFUNDS FOR CANCELLATIONS AFTER THE REGISTRATION DEADLINE)